In the last few months I’ve gathered some links that may trigger your interest. Most of them are IT and FOSS related and only one is from Oil and Gas sector. Yes, it is sometimes hard to share Oil and Gas resources because of the closed and competitive nature of the business and copyrights/trademarks or other Intellectual Property Rights issues. And I don’t want to get in trouble by doing that for sure. 🙂 I hope you will get some benefits from the following links.
IT and FOSS
Oil and Gas
Today I found two new interesting links. It is hoped it would bring something useful for you.
- Low End Box – Do you ever consider to having your own VPS account, but you are not willing to pay more or just want to play around with something? Perhaps this website could help you out in finding one. It lists web hosting companies which offer VPS promotions.
- Softaculous – A very good alternative of Fantastico, an auto/instant software installer in CPanel and Direct Admin. It is worth it to try.
Sepertinya dalam ajang Pemilihan Presiden Republik Indonesia tahun ini, komunitas Open Source di Indonesia dapat berbangga hati dan mengambil banyak manfaat (dibaca: rezeki materi dan immateri). Kenapa saya beranggapan demikian? Tidaklah perlu kita melihat terlalu jauh dan membuat analisa yang dalam untuk membuktikannya. Cara sederhana yang dapat dilakukan semua orang adalah dengan mengunjungi situs web resmi kampanye masing-masing calon pasangan Presiden dan Wakil Presiden tersebut dan memperhatikan secara keseluruhan tampilan yang ada.
Dari tampilan luar dan karakteristik yang terlihat, seseorang dapat dengan segera mengenali aplikasi yang digunakan untuk membuat situs-situs tersebut. Untuk memperoleh informasi lingkungan server, saya menggunakan data yang disediakan oleh Netcraft dan DomainTools. Berikut ringkasannya.
Continue reading “Open Source dan Pilpres RI 2009”
Perhaps you ever tried the Random Hadith Quotation, the free service I provide through this website, and you are kind of interested to run it by yourself so that you can have full control on the content. Since I started it in October 2004, I received so many e-mails asking whether the scripts is available for public or the content can be edited or changing the way it looks, etc. Hopefully all the questions will be answered through this entry. Now, I would like to share with you the base script I use for that service.
Basically I am using the existing the script available on the net and customize it in the way I want. You can, of course, make your own script if you want to. But, I assume, you all will agree with me. Why reinventing the wheel, if the solution is already there, ready to use. What really matters me (and us) is the idea behind the service. It is certainly priceless and worth more than just a script. Right? In case you think that nobody would pay intention to what you do with the script. Believe me! I started the Random Hadith Quotation service with single user which is me. No expectation at all at that time. As time goes by, the service began to gain its popularity, published in many forums or websites and now has many active users. As long as you provide something which may be useful for someone else, soon or late, it is going to be successful project.
OK, without further due, please download the base script here, provided by Starsol Scripts. After downloading it, read and follow the installation instructions and your random quotation is set up. The usage is beyond the sky. Do whatever you want and please share it to others.
I have collected some interesting links I found on the Net with various topics. I hope they could inspire you.
- Hardening the Linux desktop – Please login first to get the article in PDF. This tutorial was written for the Linux beginners. It shows you how to make your Linux desktop secure and free from virus/malware attacks. Although it was meant for the desktop, this tutorial put basics for hardening the Linux server. A recommended reading material for Linux users. (via Linux.com)
- Lazy Linux: 11 secrets for lazy cluster admins – Do you have Linux clusters running on your organization? Don’t waste your valuable time by learning those secrets to manage the clusters. (via Linux.com)
- Reducing IT Costs with Linux – Setting aside the OS wars, Windows and Linux can be combined in any number of scenarios. (via Linux.com)
- Apa sih DNS Awari? – Do you live in Indonesia and want to surf the internet worry free from things like pornography, etc? Try this free DNS service. Just fill this IP address 18.104.22.168 in your DNS settings of your PC or network. However, it seems it still relies on the OpenDNS servers. OR, you can set up your own machine by following this simple and quick tutorial. Sorry guys, all articles are in Indonesian only.
- WordPress Legacy – Did you ever notice that when you visited a website, you got “This is an Attack Site!” warning on your Firefox browser provided by Google? That message is warning you that Google has found something unusual and marks that website as a dangerous place to visit. How could this happen anyway? It seems that someone out there has successfully inserted or put malicious and often dangerous links or applications on someone’s else website for their own profits. However, the infected sites will behave normally until Firefox displays the warning. Moreover, believe it or not, some recent studies said that most of those websites use the outdated WordPress which surely contains many security problems. So, it is wisely, strongly recommended to upgrade your WP website right away to the latest release to avoid this ridiculous thing. I think everyone would agree with this solution. Now, what should you do if you don’t have enough time or energy to keep up with all the WP releases? You know the fact, staying with the old one would harm you badly, but continuously upgrading to the new one would be costly regarding time etc. But don’t you worry, stop those worries by using this WordPress Legacy 2.0 Branch. It will provide security and critical fixes until 2010 (first release in 2005). Be happy and productive! (via Harry Sufehmi)
- Important note: You should apply the same action for any CMS you use on your website. This thing can happen to everyone. Personally I would suggest you a simple rule. Always use the stable version, in favor of legacy one if any, just like what WordPress has done. Never put the testing/unstable version onto production site, unless you know what you are doing.
- Have You Ever Been Embarrassed To Be Frugal? – I don’t. Do you? 😉
- Tips for working from home – In case you are working at home. Nice tips! (via Frugal Dad)
- 34 reminders to help you find your way
- Money is 100 percent emotional – I am afraid what this guy wrote is 100% true. It hits directly to what we feel about money. (via Frugal Dad)
Various topics we have today, but still around FOSS.
After being the second place for two consecutive years, 2006 and 2007, for the Best PHP based Open Source CMS, finally Drupal gains its superioty over Joomla! this year. Drupal has been awarded by Packt Publishing as the best PHP based Open Source CMS in 2008. Congratulations to all Drupal developers and users around the world. Furthermore, we are now still waiting for the result of the best overall 2008 Open Source CMS. I hope whoever is going to win this year, nobody loses. Everybody wins. Open Source CMS just rocks!
Update @ Nov 3:
Drupal has won the 2008 Overall Best Open Source CMS Award. Congratulations.
I would like to share a nice information about CHITS from a good AS2 friend, Dr. Alvin B. Marcelo.
He said, “CHITS stands for the Community Health Information Tracking System. It was designed for the Philippines but it is internationalized. It can be used in Puskesmas (Community Health Centers) in Indonesia but will require localization.”
Is somebody interested to help CHITS with the Indonesian localization? I think this application would be a great resource and has huge potential for our national health system. It is just like what Sahana has contributed to us during natural disasters (tsunami, earth quakes, floods, etc) in our country last years.
In last few days I found various interesting links on the Net that are worth visiting.
Right now I’m playing around with two new WordPress plugins I found yesterday.
First plugin is WP GuestMap plugin. It can produce some maps for your WP blog using Google Maps as its back end engine. Some to mention are guest locator map, online tracker map, stats map and weather map. Do you want to see the real examples of those maps? Just browse this weblog around. 🙂 Or, follow these clues.
- Online Tracker Map -> on the right sidebar of the main page of this weblog.
- Guest Locater and Weather maps -> on the right sidebar of the About pages of this weblog.
- Stats Map -> on this Guest Map page.
Second plugin is WP Flickr Photo Album plugin. If you have an account at Flickr.com, you can show your photos and integrate them seamlessly on your WP blog. It also supports for the Lightbox effect which I think a cool stuff. When you need to embed or add a photo from your Flickr account to your post or page, you just select it through the Photos tab available on the write/edit section. So, without further due, you can see my Flickr photos here.
You can now enjoy SPIP in Indonesian. Please have a try and let me know your experience with it.
I just wanted to share you something I did a while ago. I hope it would be useful to you.
Get the file here. (138 KB)
My third article on SDA Asia Indonesia magazine, titled “Plus Minus Content Management System Open Source dalam Dunia Usaha” (Indonesian) has been published in this month edition. Please buy that magazine if you would like to read more. Happy reading! 🙂
This is a nice article telling you best practices in using FOSS (Free and Open Source Softwares) for your web development. Read it here at Lullabot. (via Planet Drupal)
Update (February 22, 2007):
Another article on FOSS. Read it here at pingVision, titled “How to use open source (and how not to)“. (via Planet Drupal)
For people who are interested to run bbPress 0.8 in Indonesian, you can download the localization file over here at the Indonesian language pack section of my website.
You can find the ‘how to‘ to add the localization on bbPress here.