The main work is already done. The migration process is finished. Thanks God that everything has gone just like what I expected. After all, the process was easy and very educative. I learned so many new things and found that WordPress is the right blogtool for me. But, it also took time. So, please hope that I’m not going to do it anymore. I don’t want to make my hands dirty again. 😀
In this entry I will not go further to discuss which one is the best between MovableType and WordPress. You should better read this entry, written by Thomas. He explained quite well the main differences between these two blogtools. The choice is yours. IMHO, anything would be fine as long as the software could meet your needs and you enjoy using it. It’s just like picking right clothes to wear when you know where you are up to. Right?
- The first thing to do is make sure you have a backup for your MT entries. If you don’t have one, you have to make one. It’s crucial. Without this file, the following steps would not work. Just login to your MT blog, go to “Manage Weblog” of the blog you want the entries exported. Click on the “Import/Export” button on the left menu. From there, at the bottom of page you will find “Export entries from…”. Click on that link. As a result you will have a bunch of text appear on your browser. Save it through your browser as ‘mtentries.txt’.
- After that, get your WordPress copy right here. Unpack it and install it following instructions available in the package. It’s not that difficult to have WordPress working properly.
- The next step is to find the ‘import-mt.php’ in the ‘wp-admin’ folder, open and edit it with your favourite editor. On line number 2, find define(‘MTEXPORT’, ”);
and change that to
define(‘MTEXPORT’, ‘mtentries.txt’); . Save it and upload it again to your server.
- Don’t forget to upload the ‘mtentries.txt’ you saved before to the same folder as ‘import-mt.php’.
- Login to your WordPress blog as admin. Go to this link: http://www.yourdomain.com/wp-admin/import-mt.php to begin importing MT entries to WordPress.
- Please, follow the instructions and you have a go. Your MT entries will be imported automatically. Finished.
- Go back to the WordPress administration, you will notice that all entries are already imported.
- When you think, you’re not going to customize your blog anymore, you’re done. Start blogging. 🙂
If you are curious what kind of hacks and/of plugins I use to enhance my blog, here is the list of them.
- Theme: Kubrick by Michael Heilemann. I modified it a little bit.
- Time Since Plugin
- Word/Image Counts
- Related Entries
- Waypath (Added on September 15, 2004)
- Adhesive (Added on September 15, 2004)
- Time2Read (Added on September 15, 2004)
- Dumb Comments Link (Added on September 15, 2004)
- WeatherIcon (Added on September 15, 2004)
- Blacklist Comment Spam (Added on September 17, 2004)
- Google Redirector (Added on September 17, 2004)
- Auto Shutoff Comments